Braised Beef in Guinness
120 MinsGo Back to Cook Book
Lightly dust braising steak with some flour, season with salt and pepper. Fry in a casserole pan until evenly browned all over.
Meanwhile peel carrots and cut into � inch pieces. Cut celery into the same size. Peel shallots or silver skin onions.
Add onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms to the browned meat. Cook for about 5 minutes until vegetables are sealed brown.
Add flour, tomato puree and continue cooking for 2 minutes (stir all the time to make sure flour and puree don't burn).
Add the bottled Guinness, beef stock, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and then place in a preheated oven at 165�C for approx 90 minutes. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and fresh chunky, crusty bread.
- 450g braising steak (1 inch cubes)
- 125g button mushrooms (small)
- 2 large carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 30 small silver skin onions or 15 small shallots
- Sprig of thyme and rosemary
- Bay leaf
- 500ml of Guinness (bottled works best)
- 375ml of beef stock
- 2 heaped dessert spoons of tomato puree
- 2 heaped dessert spoons of plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Flour for dusting